Find out how easy it is to measure your ring size at home. Here are some tips:
Most people believe that the most precise way to know their ring size is to have a jeweler do it. However, it is possible to learn of your ring size without having to go to the jeweler. Whether you plan to surprise your loved one, or you plan to buy yourself a ring online, you can use this handy sizing tool to measure the ring size at home.
This is what you need:
A piece of paper / Scissors / A tape measure or ruler / Pen or pencil
Here’s what you do:
Cut a thin (and long) strip of paper. Wrap the paper around your ring finger just below the knuckle (you’ll want to make sure your ring can easily fit over this part).
Once it’s snug you’ll want to mark where the two ends meet with your pen or pencil (see illustration above)
Flatten out the thin strip of paper and measure how many millimeters from the mark you just made to the end of the paper you used. Match that measurement with the corresponding ring sizes, below.
Things to Remember:
- the average women’s ring size is 7
- the average men’s ring size is 10
- measure your finger at the end of the day when they tend to be a bit more swollen If your knuckle is much bigger than the base of your finger, measure both areas and find a size in between.
- avoid measuring fingers in cold weather as the cold causes shrinking.
- fingers should be measured in warm temperatures, preferably at the end of the day.
- if you find that the size comes in two sizes, it is best to go for the larger size.
- measure the size three or four times to be sure that the measurements are accurate.
- fingers can swell from taking steroid-based medication or when pregnant. Thus, adjustments should be made accordingly.